Friday, October 3, 2008

Happy National Day!

It's National Day in China and everyone in China gets a 1 week holiday starting from 1 Oct 2008. It's a bad time to go to the usual sight seeing spots like Tian An Men or the Great Wall but a great time to take a side trip to the country side for a stay on a farm stead and do some rural activities.

That is exactly what the 11 of us decide to do.


The trip to the farm required us to drive pass the Great Wall. A 2-hour trip took us 4 hours instead as there was a jam in the stretch of roads leading up to the Great Wall.


People were getting out of the cars to walk and enjoy the cool air and they were walking faster than the cars.


We managed to get a preview of the Great Wall. I wil probably make a trip there when it is off peak session.


After a 4 hour trip, we finally arrived. The place was not too bad (at least it was sort of clean). It had 4 bed rooms and a seperate courtyard for meals and entertainment.


At least the food is good.


We had a choice to eat fresh mutton that evening. They ordered 1. A few of us (including me) decided not to. I guess you would understand why.


Finally the highlight of the day: Horse riding!


This is my first horse: 大黑。He is strong and sturdy but very spoilted. He kept running back to his mama and I couldn't stop him. So in the end, my friends left and 大黑 and I were still circling at the original spot.


Check out my leg protection thingie. So cowboy... Yee Harr..


This is 康西草原. It was a flat area where people could ride horses, buggies and other off road vehicles.


We took a break beside the lake and that was where we decided to change horses. My friend's horse was too small for him and mine was too big for me to control.


MY new horse was an small, old fella but he was quite obedient and a nice horse. Fell in love with him the moment I started riding.


We rode for about 3 hours and the effects of horse riding would only be felt 2 days later. Back ache, Backside ache, leg ache... Every thing ache!


This is how lamb looks like when cooked. I was glad I didn't eat it.


It was a good trip and we were all tired at the end of the 2 day journey. I returned home at 4pm yesterday and slept till this morning 9am.

No comments: